Best Practice Network has been delivering the programme since its inception and we have developed a strong team of expert trainers who are able to provide preparation to candidates in many areas across the country. We work with school networks and local authorities to deliver the preparation in a range of venues and locations.
Who is this for?
Gaining HLTA status is a recognised progression route for school support staff. HLTAs work closely with teachers to raise standards and help each learner reach their potential.
All applicants must have:
- Some experience of leading whole class learning with no teacher present
- Level 2 in Maths and English
What are the benefits?
Research by NFER in 2007 reported many benefits, including the rise in confidence and self-esteem of those gaining the status. Headlines from the report were that 91% of senior leaders and 80% of HLTAs identified positive impacts on pupil performance resulting from the HLTA role. 73% of senior leaders said that HLTA had reduced teacher workload. See our national partnership website: http://www.hlta.org.uk/resources.
How is it delivered?
- The two day face-to-face preparation course explains the HLTA standards and the HLTA assessment process and fully explains how to put together the required portfolio of evidence. Guidance is provided on completing the required written tasks and explains the purpose and the set-up of the 3 hour school visit.
- Between days 1 and 2, you will engage in online activities to check understanding.
- The group returns for day 2 approximately 5-6 working weeks later to review progress and receive formative feedback on the tasks written so far. Further guidance and support is provided for the school assessment visit.
- Approximately 4-7 weeks after day 2, you will email your final written tasks to the assessor who then comes to your school about two weeks after this to carry out the interviews and view the portfolio of evidence.
The status is gained through a portfolio of tasks and a 3 hour school visit where an assessor interviews you, a teacher on your behalf and a member of the senior management team. You are not observed in class.
Assessment takes place with your Regional Provider of Assessment (RPA). All RPAs are partners of the HLTA National Assessment Partnership (HNAP) a body that ensures the continuity and quality of HLTA assessment across the country.
We are currently delivering in the South West, West Midlands, North West and Yorkshire and the Humber.
|Region (Location)||Day 1||Day 2||Early bird ends|
|YH (Hull)||24 November 2014||11 February 2015||10 October 2014|
|YH (York)||25 November 2014||12 February 2015||10 October 2014|
|NW (Manchester)||26 November 2014||13 February 2015||10 October 2014|
|WM (Birmingham)||24 November 2014||30 January 2014||10 October 2014|
|WM (Coventry)||1 October 2014||12 November 2014||22 January 2015|
|LDN (Newham)||18 March 2015||13 May 2015||12 February 2015|
|SW (Bristol)||26 November 2014||4 February 2015||10 October 2014|
|SW (Swindon)||27 November 2014||5 February 2015||10 October 2014|
Please contact us for Spring/Summer 2015 dates/locations.
What does it cost?
The cost of the two day HLTA preparation programme is £260 + VAT, inclusive of lunch and refreshments. Significant discounts are available to clusters of schools and local authorities interested in hosting bespoke programmes to meet individual need. Contact us for more details.
We are offering discounts for applicants who apply before the deadlines of 10th October 2014 for Autumn 2014 programmes and 2nd February 2015 for the Spring 2015 programmes. The discounted cost will be £245 plus VAT.
The cost of preparation does not include the assessment element which is fixed by HNAP at £450 per person. Further details on assessment can be found on the HNAP website.
How to apply
Candidates can choose their Provider of Preparation - those wishing to register with Best Practice Network, should complete our preparation and assessment application form below. Feel free to contact our HLTA team for information about course availability using the contact link below. Local authorities, groups and clusters of schools who wish to determine their own course schedules and to submit bulk enrolments with BPN as the provider can do so; please confirm pricing and tutor availability with our HLTA team.