National Professional Qualification (NPQ): Headship
NPQH gives candidates all of the essential knowledge, skills and concepts that underpin successful headship with candidates learning how to:
- Establish and sustain the school’s strategic direction, with those responsible for governance
- Establish and sustain an effective culture across the school
- Establish and sustain effective planning and preparation across the school
- Ensure teaching across the school includes effective explanations and modelling
- Ensure teaching across the school stimulates pupil thinking and understanding
- See the NPQH Framework tab for full programme content
What are the benefits?
The National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH) is accredited by the UK Department for Education (DfE). The qualification is delivered by Best Practice Network, a provider of UK accredited qualifications for education professionals worldwide.
The National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH) is for those who are or are aspiring to become, a Headteacher or head of school with responsibility for leading a school. This includes those with cross-school responsibilities such as a National Leader of Education (NLE).
We were recently rated ‘Exceptional’ by the DfE’s quality assurance agent and voted ‘Company of the Year’ at the BETT Awards. We are the market leader, and to date have supported over 1500 candidates from 75+ countries to access and complete an NPQ.
Benefits for participants
- Focus on and develop the key skills needed for headship
- Internationally recognised, high standard for leadership development
- Challenge and development to deliver educational excellence in a self-improving system which will enable high-quality outcomes for pupils and students
- Time to reflect on leadership practice and to network with a wide range of school leaders
- Increased awareness and understanding of self and of the behaviours needed to lead a school
- Increased confidence to drive the vision and improve standards
- Increased capability and capacity to take on whole-school responsibility and a strengthened ability to hold others to account
Benefits for Schools
- Support succession of school leaders and build a cohesive, impact-focused school leadership team
- A professionally aware and informed leader who can make evidence-based decisions and approach new challenges in an effective and efficient manner
- The ability to delegate responsibility effectively empowering staff to lead on whole-school improvement
- The ability to review and evaluate practice in order to bring about change and get the best for young people and staff within the organisation
"I speak very highly about the programme because of its practicality and the fact that I’m working with principals around the world. For me it’s really refreshing to know that someone else is in a similar position to me and that we can easily share ideas"
Bev Ross, NPQH, Deputy Principal, International School, Guandong Province, China
Who is it for?
National Professional Qualification for Headship (NPQH) – for school leaders who are, or are aspiring to be, a headteacher or head of school with responsibility for leading a school.
The role of a headteacher is complex. Although some headteachers and principals still teach, the role is primarily a strategic and operational one and relies on working with and through their colleagues (in particular, through the leadership team) to ensure every pupil gets an excellent education.
How is NPQH delivered?
NPQH makes use of a blended delivery model consisting of face-to-face events, online study, webinars and coaching.
NPQH candidates can choose to complete the programme via our online delivery model. This delivery model replaces the face-to-face events with facilitated webinars as well as extra tutor support and study packs.
NPQH participants will attend 5 Face-to-Face events if they choose to complete the programme via the blended delivery model. Our international delivery network allows us to bring Face-to-Face training to a school near you and facilitated by local school leaders (please contact us for international locations).
Candidates access online learning and support via our virtual learning environment (VLE) Canvas. Through Canvas, candidates are able to engage with their peers, access multimedia content and submit work for assessment.
Applicants must have full support from their school/organisation. A head teacher, member of the SLT, line manager or Chair of Governors (or similar authoritative role) must confirm their support and that all information submitted is true and correct. This is a Department for Education mandatory requirement.
To apply for NPQH, applicants must have the following:
- Teacher Reference Number (TRN) - see TRN Support Guide
- 2 years teaching experience
- Leadership aspiration/experience
- Be 18-36 months from applying for a headship role
If you are unsure if you meet the above requirements or have other relevant experience then please contact our team who will be able to support your application.
NPQH International costs £2500 plus VAT where applicable. VAT is chargeable on courses funded by private individuals.
We also offer an apprenticeship route to NPQH
How to apply
We are now accepting applications for the Spring 2024 NPQH Cohort. Click below to apply.
Related Courses and Content