Diploma for School Business Managers (DSBM)
Designed for existing and aspiring school business managers who wish to enhance their leadership, management and administrative skills alongside their knowledge and understanding of key areas of school business management, through a professional qualification.Apply now View case studies
We also offer individual units to run alongside the full online programme. These will be delivered as online modules, facilitated and supported by national experts, recognised as a qualification in its own right.
Please click here for details on the individual units we offer.
At a glance
What are the benefits?
The Level 4 Diploma for School Business Managers will equip senior administrators and new SBMs with the operational skills required to be an effective school business manager. Throughout the programme you will:
- Manage resources within a school more efficiently, effectively and sensitively
- Develop an understanding of the purpose of business management in a school context
- Demonstrate leadership and management decision-making skills
- Evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of business management operations within a school
- Understand the nature of school business management
- Gain CPD against the ISBL professional standards
"Throughout my study, I continually enhanced my knowledge, using it to assist me during high-level strategic discussions and decision making. I still regularly refer to my assessments to assist me in certain situations."
Who is it for?
The Level 4 DSBM is part of a suite of school business management qualifications. The programme is designed for existing and aspiring school business managers who wish to enhance both their leadership, management and administrative skills together and their knowledge and understanding of key areas of school business management through a professional qualification.
How is it delivered?
The ILM Level 4 Diploma for School Business Managers programme (qualification no. 603/1997/5) is delivered over 12 months.
The ILM credit value of the qualification is 39 to 40 credits, which comprises three mandatory units (35 credits), plus one optional unit of 9 or 10 credits.
The units are:
Online learning pathway
- An online induction session
- Two online 1.5 hour tutorials for each of the four units
- Three online group support workshops
- Two online assessment tutorials focussing on the requirements for the e-portfolio of evidence
- Two 1:1 telephone coaching sessions to provide individual support
The programme is accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM).
Evidence for skills/competence-based assessment criteria should be produced in a school environment/context where possible. Evidence for these units is likely to come from naturally occurring activities from the workplace and may include (but is not restricted to):
- Products from the learner’s work
- Records of Team Minutes/Agendas
- Direct observation of the learner’s performance by their assessor
- Outcomes from oral or written questioning
- Personal statements and/or reflective accounts
- Professional discussion
- Authentic statements/witness testimony
- Records of External Customer communications
- Written reports/case studies
The full cost of the online-only programme including assessment and certification is:
- The fee for the online model is £1,350 plus VAT, a reduction of £145 from the blended learning model.
- Members of the Institute of School Business Leadership (ISBL) are entitled to a 5% discount (ISBL membership number required).
How to apply
When submitting their application, applicants must upload a signed Headteacher Declaration form in which they agree to support you through the programme and confirm that the school will finance the cost of the course.
It will save time if applicants obtain this prior to starting the online registration process.
Related Courses and Content
NPQLTD for Leading Teacher Development
NPQLTD gives participants all of the essential knowledge, skills and concepts that underpin successful leadership of teacher development.
NPQLBC for Leading Behaviour & Culture
NPQLBC gives participants all of the essential knowledge, skills and concepts that underpin successful leadership of culture and behaviour in a school.